Re: [chrony-dev] tracking report when not connected to anything misleading

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 08:56:22AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:

> I am noticing a strange behaviour. Using server  pool.ntp.org iburst
> in /etc/chrony.conf
>
> I get if I run chronyc and then sourcestats
> 210 Number of sources = 1
> Name/IP Address            NP  NR  Span  Frequency  Freq Skew  Offset  Std Dev
> resntp-b-vip.lon.bitfolk.   1   0     0     +0.000   2000.000     +0ns  4000ms
>
> Clearly no connection.

An older chrony version worked fine in the same configuration?

It might help to see the chronyd -d -d debug output (when chronyd is
configured and compiled with the --enable-debug option).

> and if I do tracking
>
> chronyc> tracking
> Reference ID    : 0.0.0.0 ()
> Stratum         : 0
> Ref time (UTC)  : Thu Jan  1 00:00:00 1970
> System time     : 0.000000001 seconds slow of NTP time
> Last offset     : -0.000580443 seconds
> RMS offset      : 0.001692938 seconds
> Frequency       : 0.817 ppm slow
> Residual freq   : +0.000 ppm
> Skew            : 0.000 ppm
> Root delay      : 0.000000 seconds
> Root dispersion : 0.000000 seconds
> Update interval : 512.2 seconds
> Leap status     : Not synchronised

Hm, the update interval is quite long. How long has chronyd been
running? Was there a system suspend or something stepping the clock?
That would cause chronyd to drop all measurements and start from
scratch. There should be a message in the syslog if that's what
happened.

> Clearly there is no connection to the source at all. But the tracking still
> seems to indicate that everything is fine, when clearly it is not. Ie it is
> telling me that the system time is exactly on, etc. although the
> Reference ID clearly says something is wrong. There should be more of an
> indication in tracking that nothing is being tracked.

The leap status says it's unsynchronised, but from the non-zero offset
values it looks like at some point it was.