Re: [chrony-dev] can chrony adjust H/W clock too ?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Ed W wrote:

On 20/04/2010 23:00, Bill Unruh wrote:
 Well actually it is already in the docs. In the beginning of the docs it
 explicitly states that one of the advantages of chrony over ntp is that it
 can
 keep track of the rtc errors, and compensate for them. There are also
 various
 rtc commands and files described.

Sure - but what I wasn't sure of was that chrony would read the system clock at boot... OK, it's my error, but I turned on hwclock thinking I needed that to get the initial time set and that chrony would be used to condition the RTC thereafter (as a result when I shutdown the error caused by hwclock is so small it's not relevant). So the end result is negligible, but I just thought it worth pointing out how the idiot user (mis)understands the documentation as it stands...

chrony can, or can not, use the rtc on startup. Or it can use the current
clock (set for example by hwclock) That is controlled by the -s option to the
running of chrony. If it is there in the startup, it will use the rtc,
corrected with the contents of the rtcfile (offset and drift rate). If not, it
will simply leave the clock as it is until it collects enough data from the
ntp packets to begin to change the clock. Thus you can use chrony to simply
use the hwclock setting, or to use its own knowledge of the rtc.

Cheers

Ed W

---
To unsubscribe email chrony-dev-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the subject. For help email chrony-dev-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with "help" in the subject.