Re: some thoughts on gcc

Alexander Medvedev wrote:
Looking strange:

1. we have standart gcc receipt with (--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,fortran)
2. we have gcc+gcj receipt with (--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,java)

Why do we have objective C in gcc+gcj?
Also, why do we have fortran and objC in standart receipt?
Looks like it's time to split it to gcc-lite (with only c and c++ that
will suffice 99% of users) and gcc-full that 1% may need.

p.s. found with-tune=i486 string.. Time to forget about anything below
standart pentium. Even ultralite distros dont boot on 486 nowadays.

Everything above this text is just my IMHO
With best regards, Alexander.

There are a couple that will "boot" on a 486. Fearther Linux , Luit Linux and Bonzai. But they are no longer maintained and the authors seem to be unavailble. Bonzai will run (without GUI) with 32 MB of RAM. Austrumi and a couple of others abort after the splash screen "Kernal panic - cannot sync" or commands (?) "cmov,PAE, Cx8 " not on the CPU, cannot boot. Tiny Linux and Basic Linux work fine but no GUI.

regards
hg