Re: cooking kernel -- xfs boot

> |No mkinitrd, not realy simple and for what ?
>

> i'm a noob, so wouldn't know much details about difficulties of
> mkinitrd, but one good thing i noticed about xfs is that
> it takes only 24 mb of space for filesystem on a 48 gig partition.
> as opposed to that ext3 takes some 937 MB !!!!
> these numbers are even before slitaz is installed.
> (not to mention the superfast booting and general operation of xfs
> and the online resizing feature.) so, keeping with the minimalist
> philosophy of Slitaz, i would think that xfs is a better choice,
> maybe ... ?

Yes, XFS is a fs of choice and seems to fit SliTaz.

> so, if not mkinitrd, it might be worthwhile considering
> incorporating it in future kernel versions, maybe ... ? then there
> would be no need for mkinitrd, right ... ?

Yes we must consider xfs incorporation and yes, no need of mkinitrd id
JFS in build-in the Kernel. Including xfs and the tools would meen:

linux-xfs-2.6.25.5 - 184 Kb
xfsprogs-2.9.8-1   - 1.2 Mb

(maybe we can split and strip down xfsprogs)

SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list.
Web site : http://www.slitaz.org/