Re: *****SPAM***** Re: [Sawfish] wayland support?

The "problem" with Wayland is that it is just a protocol. So there is
no such thing anymore as a window manager on Wayland, there are just
different compositors which do *everything*, from providing drawing
capabilities to handling input, configuration and windows. There are
efforts to extract most of these into libraries, though, but with other
downsides, for example libinput has a lot of hardcoded assumptions.

I don't know if something like the Wayland-X bridge can be used, getting
Sawfish "natively" on Wayland would require to write a complete
compositor for Wayland, which for sure is neither trivial nor easy.

Also I'd like to take the opportunity to remind everyone that X is
going *nowhere* within the next two to three decades at least. I
mean, it could happen that some people like Gnome drop support for it
within the next years, but I hope that's not going to happen because
that would be pretty fatal to the Linux application ecosystem as a
whole (a friendly reminder that Mir *is* a thing, and currently there
is only a Mir-X bridge). So I hope nobody is that stupid.

My personal opinion on Wayland is quite bleak, actually. It feels like
it is tailored towards a mobile environment in which no application is
trustable, similar to the sandbox and all-in-one package movements
which seem to endorse a "download some completely random application
from the interwebs and don't worry when running it" mentality. Which is
in extreme contrast to what has been pushed in the last decades, "you
can trust any application you run as long as it is coming from the
official repository". That means that a Wayland compositor must bring
all the functionality which are currently provided by different tools,
because nothing is allowed to temper with the compositor or other
windows.

Having a nice compositor would be cool, but Wayland comes, in my
opinion, with a pretty hefty price tag.