Re: [Sawfish] strange focus/raising bug

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 16:49:36 -0600
Trevor Cordes <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2015-01-07 fuchur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sawfish works properly with your settings. The code auto-raise was
> > disable bevor sawfish 1.11 and reenable in 1.11. Disable auto-raise
> > and you have the settings from 1.9.
>
> Except I thought about it a bit more and it makes no sense that this
> isn't a bug now.  When I right click the frame to lower, the window
> gets sent to the bottom of the stack and other windows can completely
> obscure it.  And then 500ms later it pops back up to top & focus!?
> The auto-raise code really should only affect windows that are
> visible and have the mouse over them, right?

If I understood auto raise correctly then it should raise the window
that got the focus, for that the mouse doesn't need to hover over it.

> Also, doesn't it make no sense at all to have auto-raise even an
> option when click-to-focus is selected?  What point is auto-raise
> when using ctf?  Unless I'm not understanding something.

I'm very sure there are use-cases where this makes perfect sense. I can
imagine that it is used in combination with keyboard shortcuts and
similar, because then you don't need to bother to always include a
"raise the window command" because that one with the focus will be the
top most window. It might also be interesting if applications request
focus (can they even steal it?) and that that application is brought to
the front.

> The workaround works well enough, but perhaps some other users will be
> confused in the future.

That might happen, but is it a problem now that it is documented?

Now that I think about it I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug at
all. It depends if the "raise focused windows" functionality is
defined as "raises window when they get the focus" or "keeps the
focused window as top most". In the later case it makes perfect sense
that this is happening and that it is not a bug. But something seems
wrong as the behavior is not consistent, though.