|Re: [Sawfish] plain sawfish as a window manager|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/sawfish Archives
- To: "sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Sawfish] plain sawfish as a window manager
- From: Richard <r_j_humphreys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:19:47 +0100 (BST)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1345637988; bh=VGcloTwJkHNJI4q6dmjt3ZY+80Rutn4X5U/kI41YwKM=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=6C2/BCnMEUvdMGMxfIEcdGdgiMOx909jaaIvss06jWfUg/Qusvn2i0o5GKGsiHgz63+7qVjgrCxurxAy40ngIWNYwhJYA3INpTFME9FrExkPn0KT4Esx6TBh1LU1ZLgfNvq0ftjUoRGkWcjeSiCh2ucVmHe+KzS4VSLfjE3TJxk=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=Hp9fgzAx1OGC/4N39Mor8es9TDGrURbHdXNawyIwi4GAgY4X44ZJLgeHVyQjt5kEOrpV3K5RlmDK46mJBrg/hhkcMb7griRHKhcRfCxUL8He4lTM9kJ2fnjiFdmA4RqFCDy7UgXM9zpDu0dbUOcRdRtxBMuCq0/kSOqrUpUs8lI=;
I switched because... long-ish story...
.. partly because I got tired of fighting with FVWM's odd config syntax. It is hugely powerful but I never really became comfortable with it.
... about six months ago I spent a few days in a
fruitless attempt to learn lisp. Life got in the way and that was abandoned for a while. I revisited the idea a few days ago and decided that it would be helpful to use an existing lisp application with which I could tinker. I did briefly consider looking at CLFSWM - but decided instead that sawfish looked fun.
From: Snow Bender <snowbender@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, 22 August 2012, 12:39
Subject: Re: [Sawfish] plain sawfish as a window manager
Can I ask why you switched? :)
I actually considered using FVWM, but it seems to require a big investment to build a nice desktop. Sawfish seems a bit easier (with sawfish-config for initial setup), and has the benefit of having a lisp to configure it. (not a lisp programmer, but I'm familiar with it and would like to know more about it...)
I've been checking the rep-lisp code on the wiki, in combination with sawfish-client.. interesting!
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Richard <r_j_humphreys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I'm in a similar position having moved to sawfish in the past week after years using FVWM. I am used to having pages of example configs to look through (and learn from!) on the forums, so having an equivalent would be nice.
No matter what program I end up using I am always using it as a standalone WM - I have never liked DEs.