Re: [Sawfish] multi-head warning

Rodrigo

Sounds like an identical setup with OS and graphic driver. We should
let each other kinow of any caveats.

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:	 Rodrigo Amestica ramestica@xxxxxxxxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

this is xubuntu 12.04, nvidia driver 295.49. lcds configured as
separated X screens. i do not really have problems with this. both
screens look very independent (e.g. different backgrounds.)

--multihead spawns two sawfish process and they seem to be happy out
there. i have sawfish-ness on both screens.

it is just that the warning is rather alarming/panicking and made me
hesitate about a different mechanism in sawfish to enable multi-headed
support.

cheers,
 Rodrigo

--

from:	 greg heil emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject:	 Re: [Sawfish] multi-head warning

Rodrigo

Does not sound good in general. i have not yet succeeded in installing
Sawfish, and have two monitors. But the monitors are driven off the
same Nvidia card. The Nvidia driver evidently fools X11 into seeing
them as a single head. This may(?) be a way around Sawfish`s design
flaw.

Do you have the Nvidia driver too?

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:    Rodrigo Amestica ramestica@xxxxxxxxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date:    22 August 2012 11:28
subject:         [Sawfish] multi-head warning

Hi,

I'm trying a multiheaded environment for the first time (two lcds).
When I start sawfish 1.9.0 with the --multihead option I get the
warning shown below. Is it as bad as it sounds? Otherwise it seems to
work. Is it '--multihead' the right mechanism to get multiheaded
functionality?

thanks,
Rodrigo

Warning: sawfish's --multihead option is known to have fundamental
design flaws, which may lead to sawfish behaving strangely, or the
files in your ~/.sawfish directory being corrupted. Use this option at
your own risk! rep: using deprecated feature - &optional in lambda
list