Re: [Sawfish] rep-gtk and gtk+

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 00:33, Christopher Roy Bratusek
<nano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 01 July 2011 23:52:13 Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to install rep-gtk from sources, and I see that I need gtk+
>>
>> >= 2.24. On Debian stable gtk+ is at version 2.20, so I need to
>>
>> install that from sources as well.
>>
>> Can you say which are the gtk+ requirements in terms of dependencies?
>> Am I going to bust my system in case I'll install it (thus overriding
>> the system libgtk+)?

Hi Stefano,

There isn't any need (and you shouldn't) replace your system GTK
libraries. It's perfectly fine to install GTK, etc and sawfish to your
home directory.

I have a generic script for doing this, which you may use:
http://teratorn.org/code/doconfigure

Use that script instead of the 'configure' command for gtk etc, and
for rep/rep-gtk/sawfish and it should pick up and use the alternate
gtk libs instead of the system ones...

Cheers,
-E

> I'd rather suggest you reading
>
> http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Compilation_from_source
>
> than installing gtk+ manually. And >= 2.24 is not a synthetic dependency, it
> really needs atleast 2.24.0
>
>> Which is the alternative in case I would prefer to rely on the Debian
>> gtk+ (e.g. can I compile an old branch of rep-gtk and still get the
>> rest of the updated sawfish properly working)?
>
> Sawfish 1.8.x and rep-gtk << 0.90.7 will work with GTK+ 2.12,
> Sawfish 1.9x (>= 1.8.90)  and rep-gtk >= 0.90.7 need 2.24.
>
>> Many thanks in advance, best regards.
>
> Chris
>
> ---
> --