[pythonwifi] Re: Python WiFi 0.6.0

On Sat, April 18, 2015 7:37 pm, Christoffer Jerkeby wrote:
>>> # move iwlibs and flags to wext directory
>>> # fix pep8 in wext/* directory
>>
>> Since, wext is deprecated in the kernel, maybe this should be a lower
>> priority?
>
> Point taken, certainly true as I am reluctant to make other changes
> like function names in wext/iwlibs.py

Right, so maybe the functional parts of the wext side of PW should only be
changed to get them out of the way of the nl80211 side.

>>> # create nl80211/flags.py for flags from the kernel.
>>
>> I had started a nl80211 flags module that you may want to use as a
>> starting point.
>
> I saw it, It gave me a greater understanding of pymnl, it will need a
> bit of layering for creating NL packets for code-reuse.

What I mean here is specifically about flags[0].  Whether you use pymnl or
not, I have already done 95% of the work of capturing the kernel flag
constants in the flags.py file.

>>> # create nl80211/interfaces.py network interface classes.
>>> # create nl80211/iwlibs.py (potentially) for wrappers of compatibility
>>> so that a v0.6.0 to v0.7.0 conversion is smooth
>
>> I really like this idea.  Then it would be possible to keep the wext API
>> as a front-end for a nl80211-based library.  Meaning that older users of
>> PW could keep working when wext is removed form the kernel.
>
> My only concern with doing this is to mix the coding-style as I have
> mentioned in a previous email. The CamelCase notaiton will only be
> available in the legacy iwlibs.py API.

Right.  This nl80211-based wext API may not be so useful after all.

Maybe we should have a big note (before PW v1.0) in the docs saying that
wext is deprecated and remove them completely in PW v2.0?

[0]
http://git.tuxfamily.org/pythonwifi/pythonwifi.git/diff/pythonwifi/nl80211/flags.py?h=exp-old-nl80211

--
Sean