[pythonwifi] Re: Python WiFi 0.6.0

On Mon, April 13, 2015 12:48 am, Christoffer Jerkeby wrote:
> Thanks for all the assistance, just FYI i started the api2011 branch
> work now you are always welcome to comment.

You're welcome.  I'm glad you've taken on the work to implement the new
API.  I'll try to help as I can with infrastructure, feedback, and
testing.

> I'm currently trying to keep full backwards compatibility for the wext
> stuff so no, functional renames just wrappers.

I recently searched for projects using PW and I could not find any public
users.  It is available in several projects for those project's users, but
I did not see any code which calls PW.

> My current todo-list is in this order.
>
> X add generic module functions to pw/__init__.py
> X add unittests for all generic functions
> X fix pep8 and pylint in pw/__init__.py

Cool.  It's coming along...

> # move iwlibs and flags to wext directory
> # fix pep8 in wext/* directory

Since, wext is deprecated in the kernel, maybe this should be a lower
priority?

> # add unit-tests to wext functions
> # create nl80211 directory
> # create nl80211/__init__.py functions for supporting 80211 framing
> # create nl80211/flags.py for flags from the kernel.

I had started a nl80211 flags[0] module that you may want to use as a
starting point.

> # create nl80211/interfaces.py network interface classes.
> # create nl80211/iwlibs.py (potentially) for wrappers of compatibility
> so that a v0.6.0 to v0.7.0 conversion is smooth

I really like this idea.  Then it would be possible to keep the wext API
as a front-end for a nl80211-based library.  Meaning that older users of
PW could keep working when wext is removed form the kernel.

> # write documentation on v0.7.0 -backwards compatibility
> # make basic examples of (new) nl80211 features
> # make advanced example of nl80211 configuration
>
> From now on I will start posting changes and status updates on the
> mailing-list instead of privately.

Yes, please.  By working on the ML we auto-document the changes that are
occurring in the project.

> I will try to get some users/devs along to comment on the code and run
> the unit tests for every TODO-milestone so I can know that I'm not of
> track.
>
> Thanks again Sean!
>
> Christoffer
>
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Sean Robinson <robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, March 31, 2015 6:03 pm, Christoffer Jerkeby wrote:
>>> Nice I registered a pypi account with the username "kugg". Ill see if
>>> I can dig up a test environment.
>>
>> Christoffer,
>>
>> I have added you to the PW PYPI project as a maintainer.  Let me know if
>> can help you with any more infrastructure needs.

[0]
http://git.tuxfamily.org/pythonwifi/pythonwifi.git/diff/pythonwifi/nl80211/flags.py?h=exp-old-nl80211&id=4398f512d6b01e78ff083177a7e729e98b47cf0a