Re: [proaudio] I want to contribute

Thank you,

I'll have a look at the links later that day.
I personally have no problem with SVN (would use git-svn anyway), but like the energy on the 'switch to git'-topic.
I have no feelings against github nor gitlab.

Thank you people, looking forward to be a part.

On 11/03/15 23:41, Marc Joliet wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 November 2015 21:50:27 Karl Lindén wrote:
>> However, I think we should migrate the overlay to git before
>> doing any further work, since the development has completely
>> stalled and I think more people would be keen to contribute if
>> we would use a VCS that is more widely used by the community.
>> Also git is now used for the main tree. Additionally git has a
>> nicer workflow with things like pull requests, whereas SVN merely
>> has patches.
>>
>> I will migrate the overlay in a few days if I do not here any
>> complaints. (People have actually already done this, in protest
>> against SVN...)
>
> Cool, I was actually going to ask about that.  As someone who
> would also like to make some (minor) contributions, I welcome
> this.
>
> FWIW, after the main portage tree moved to git and the official
> GitHub mirror opened, I've been motivated to get various (minor)
> changes I made locally (e.g., patches and ebuild modifications)
> into the portage tree.  So far I've gotten four pull requests
> merged, and a patch for gentoolkit got upstreamed. So my own
> experience makes me agree with the idea that a move to Git could
> definitely help motivate people to participate more.

I wonder where we should put the official git version of the overlay..
On GitHub or on GitLab? Both can handle pull/merge requests, issues
and wiki/homepage, so functionality wise I think it does not matter.
However, I know some people feel strongly against GitHub since it is a
proprietary service and that would make GitLab a better candidate. A
reason to use GitHub, though, is that more people are likely to use
GitHub since also the gentoo main repo (mirror) is on GitHub.

I can live with any of these, but I prefer GitLab since it is FOSS,
but if someone prefers GitHub I am fine with it and I will not be
stubborn to push for GitLab.

Please tell me which you all would like best GitHub, GitLab, or maybe
something else.

Regards