Re: [proaudio] I want to contribute

Hi!

Nice! Great to hear!

However, I think we should migrate the overlay to git before doing any
further work, since the development has completely stalled and I think
more people would be keen to contribute if we would use a VCS that is
more widely used by the community. Also git is now used for the main
tree. Additionally git has a nicer workflow with things like pull
requests, whereas SVN merely has patches.

I will migrate the overlay in a few days if I do not here any
complaints. (People have actually already done this, in protest against
SVN...)

Feel free to work out patches for packages you care about and send them
to this list until we (finally) use git. I can then apply and commit
them or comment on the patches where necessary. I would be happy to
grant you commit access whenever I am convinced you can manage to
maintain a few packages, but unfortunately I am not the person in charge
of the repository, but whenever we're on git this can be fixed.

Lastly, I do not think the threshold for becoming a developer in this
overlay should be very big, since there has been little to no motion
here for a while and because this is just an overlay; not the main tree;
so things are allowed to break (temporarily) sometimes. But of course,
any peculiarities, mistakes and faults should be fixed! The devmanual is
your friend. [1]

Kind regards,
Karl

[1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/