Re: [proaudio] jack-audio-connection-kit

On Saturday 23 March 2013 18:36:37 Karl Lindén wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How would you do that? They install alot of files in the same paths
> which would result in a massive conflict. As far as I know such thing
> can only be done "smoothly" with heavy patching. I'm also a little
> concerned about the dbus service and how dbus can know which jack to
> be used, but I'm not at all an expert on dbus. I'm not sure if the
> linking might be a problem, but can the linker know what jack version
> to link against? Is this and other issues aswell going to be solved by
> symlinking, maybe? Then an eselect could be nice.
>
> Is there a problem only running one jack version? Is there some
> package requiring only one version and another requiring the other?
>
> I'm not (as far as I know) in charge of the SVN write access, so if
> you don't want to wait you can always supply a patch.
>
> Kind regards,
> Karl
>
> 2013/3/23 Manuel Bärenz <manuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I think it would be best to have jack-audio-connection-kit versions
> > 0.121.3 and 1.9.9.5 in different slots to install them parallely and
> > switch quickly between them without reemerging. If you want to give me
> > SVN write access, I can quickly do that myself.
> >
> > Best, Manuel

I was chatting a bit about this with Nedko Arnaudov some time ago and he
suggested a jack virtual package and pointed me to a link on the jack trac
wiki but I think that link is down right now. We should be able to select
these different versions of jack somehow without ugly masking. The situation
right now with jack1 and jack2 in one package is not great but it works
because we don't have to change any dependencies of other packages. I did some
work on a local overlay with a jack virtual but the problem is all the
dependencies in portage and the overlay, I was not sure how to proceed with
this and my questions on irc in gentoo-media went unanswered, maybe I should
have filed a bug instead.

Kind regards
Gavin