Re: [proaudio] Cgroups

Yo, back on Thursday, December 16, 2010 Mark Knecht was all like:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Dominique Michel
> <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > Anyway, they need user space tools, that is libcgroup, and it is not in
> > portage yet. (It is on sunrise, but only ~x86)
> >
> > Cgroup is a useful feature for big companies large scale servers, but
> > for an audio-pro workstation, we just don't need it.
> >
> I agree that most audio work doesn't sound like a very good candidate
> for cgroups, but I've not even tried it yet.

I've been using it without any issues. It offers some useful tools once you understand what it does and how it works. It allows you to group processes and partition off how much access they get to different system resources. This is a handy tool for limiting non-audio processes and keeping them under control. Remember, cgroups is for more than just CPU time. It can deal with things like memory, hard drive bandwidth, etc.

Furthermore, unless you mount the cgroups virt filesystem, it shouldn't have any effect at all.

I doubt this has as much as an implication on Gentoo users as it does for pre-packaged distros where the decision of mounting cgroups is not an explicit decision of the user if the distro makes mounting cgroups the default config.

-Reuben