Re: [proaudio] Cgroups

Le Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:33:03 +0100,
Thomas Kuther <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Do, 16.12.10 16:10 alex stone <compose59@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > As a quick heads up, there's been a discussion raging on the
> > jack-devel list about the recent implementation of Cgroups in the
> > kernel, and the less than desirable implications for RT scheduling.
> > (and the next release of Ubuntu has already been identified as a
> > potential problem for those who want to use jack.)

And other rt aware applications like cd burning.

As it is possible to disable it into its config, I think than ubuntu did
the wrong choice by enabling it by dafault.

> > So whoever's doing the next pro-audio RT kernel build might want to
> > make some noise over at kernel central and get the facts of what's
> > actually going on, and what we'll need to do as users to use jack
> > for audio/midi/video. (It seems it's going to get more complicated
> > for users, something i'm sure we'll all be thrilled about, not.)
> >
> > Alex.
> >

> The solution for Gentoo users is simple: just don't enable
> RT_GROUP_SCHED and CGROUPS alltogether when building your kernel.
>
> -Tom

Anyway, they need user space tools, that is libcgroup, and it is not in
portage yet. (It is on sunrise, but only ~x86)

Cgroup is a useful feature for big companies large scale servers, but
for an audio-pro workstation, we just don't need it.

Even if installed, it is possible to completely disable it in its
configuration, and as long it doesn't make like udev, a good piece of
software that is almost impossible to remove, and very difficult and
time consuming to configure for a non technical user, I just don't care
of it.

Ciao,

"We have the heroes we deserve."