Re: [proaudio] More overlay problems

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Thomas Kuther <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On So, 05.10.08 11:05 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Sorry but my results lately have been pretty bad. Here is the latest
>> this morning.
>>
>> Possibly svn.tuxfamily.org is just down so I'll try again later but
>> why all the rostov messages and this continued locale stuff?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>
>> lightning ~ # !lay
>> layman -s pro-audio
>> * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
>> * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
>> * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
>> * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
>
> That's from rostov overlay in the global layman list file. It obviously
> misses a description.
>
> Doesn't happen here, so maybe run 'layman -f'
>
>> * Running command "/usr/bin/svn update
>> "/usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio""... svn: warning: cannot set
>> LC_CTYPE locale svn: warning: environment variable LC_ALL is en_US
>> svn: warning: please check that your locale name is correct
>
> run 'locale -a' to see what locales are supported on your system.
> See the Gentoo localization guide on how to set things up correctly.
>
> Maybe it's just missing an encoding suffix, like
> -----
> └» echo $LC_ALL $LC_CTYPE
> de_DE.UTF-8 de_DE.UTF-8
> -----
>
>> svn: Can't connect to host 'svn.tuxfamily.org': No route to host
>
> svn.tuxfamily.org is fine here. Maybe check again, and if the problem
> persists, check if your provider's DNS is working correctly.
> (You could use one from opendns.org to verify this)
>

> HTH,
> Tom

Hi all,
   OK, finally getting back to this.

1) The proaudio overlay is once again updating. Apparently it was just
down when I tried earlier.

2) Running layman -f doesn't fix the rostov problem.

3) Locales are an issue. My machine is also a CUPS server for the
network. After recent updates other Gentoo machines couldn't print
while I could print fine when on this machine. To fix that I commented
out the ISO-8859-1 entry as shown. Now everyone can print again.

lightning ~ # cat /etc/locale.gen
#en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
lightning ~ #

lightning ~ # locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
POSIX
en_US.utf8
lightning ~ #

Looking at Dominique's suggestion I don't have as much info in my 02locale file:

lightning ~ # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
LC_ALL="en_US"
lightning ~ #

I will have to look around for Gentoo instructions on setting this up
correctly. I've never had to touch anything except /etc/locale.gen
before. Maybe things have changed?

Thanks,
Mark