Re: [proaudio] problem at boot with rt-sources

thanks a lot Mark and Dominique (and Friede... I had already tested the rt7)

> I had similar problems, although not at exactly the same place in the
> boot process, when 2.6.17-rt came out. For me the trick was not to use
> the old config file and to do the kernel config by hand from scratch.

So I have now a working kernel 2.6.17-rt7, but it wasn't without pain !

First big pain : something vary odd that happens to me (I spend about 12
hours to find the hint) was that a kernel parameter, in the Power
Management section, CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION was set to "/dev/hda2" by
default and unfortunatly on my system /dev/hda2 is an extended W95
partition (see as a zéro-length partition) so I had a kernel panic at the
boot. Such a drastic default parameters is very odd IMHO.

second pain and bad news : realtime-lsm is no longer compatible with the
2.6.17-rt7 Kernel :(

gentoodaw dubphil # modprobe realtime
FATAL: Error inserting realtime
(/lib/modules/2.6.17-rt7/extra/realtime.ko): Invalid module format

So I have to configure RT-Limit :

gentoodaw dubphil # equery which pam
/usr/local/portage/proaudio/sys-libs/pam/pam-0.78-r6.ebuild

pam-0.78-r6 is enough uptodate to use RT-limit with pam ?
I have followed the howto :
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Howto_RT_Kernel#Kernel_configuration

but jackd doesn't want to start.

cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread 16384,
from thread 16384] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine

anyone succeeded with pam and RT-limit ?

Best

Philippe