Re: [proaudio] Some early questions

  It's a total guess on my part but since I'm not seeing any of the
pro-audio packages using either eix or emerge, such as in emerge -pv
ardour2, I'm wondering whether the pro-audio portage overlay works
with the Gentoo portage speed up hack that uses cdb, since I use it,
located here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_speed_up_portage_with_cdb

Just a thought since it's end of the day here in California and likely
many of you cool answer oriented folks are in Europe getting your
beauty sleep. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

On 5/14/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Again, thanks for the responses.

On 5/14/06, Thomas Kuther <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2006 13:45:10 -0700
> "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> >    Or is this source command telling make.conf itself to source
> > another file called layman/make.conf which comes, some how, after the
> > 3rd or 4th step?
>
> exactly that. it adds another source of PORTDIR_OVERLAY variables to
> the main make.conf, which with the default settings will
> be /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

Great. I followed the instructions and everything seems to have been
installed. I now see a pro-audio overlay directory in
/usr/portage/local/layman:

lightning ~ # ls -al /usr/portage/local/layman/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 May 14 16:23 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 May 14 16:22 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 11441 May 14 16:22 cache.xml
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    71 May 14 16:23 make.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   399 May 14 16:23 overlays.xml
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root  4096 May 14 16:22 pro-audio
lightning ~ #

However, when I tried looking for packages in the overlay I didn't find them:

lightning ~ # eix preamp

Found 0 matches
lightning ~ # eix aeolus

Found 0 matches
lightning ~ # eix whysynth

Found 0 matches
lightning ~ #

I did try an eix-sync but that didn't help. Sorry if I missed some
obvious step but I've been over this a couple  of times and don't see
it.

BTW - I'm on an AMD64 machine. Does this overlay support AMD64? Hope so...

Thanks in advance,
Mark