Re: [hatari-users] Hatari tutorial for Ubuntu

Le 01/03/2020 à 23:14, Eero Tamminen a écrit :

But I've just made a quick test. With the Ghosts'n Goblins STX, it actually crashes at startup with a double Bus Error. So I'm glad I didn't introduce it in this first Hatari overview.

STX format may need more accurate FDC.  Nicolas?

Hi

yes, image of copy protected games (like STX or IPF) are most likely to require accurate fdc timings, because some of the protections are based on measuring the time it takes to read a sector (and the original sector was written with specific HW to ensure is reads slower or faster than if you copy the disk using the ST's FDC)

So, if a tutorial is about playing games using Hatari, then I think it's better to not show the "faster fdc option" as sooner or later it will cause some games to crash.

Nicolas