Re: [hatari-users] Minor Problems with Falcon Emulation (SDL GUI keyboard shortcuts)

Am Sat, 9 Aug 2014 22:18:37 +0300

> Hi,
>
> On lauantai 09 elokuu 2014, Ingo Schmidt wrote:
> > > - Is your computer fast enough?  If it's not, you get sound
> > > issues.
> >
> > How do I know? :)
> > Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
> > Not really the strongest, but I assume it is good enough? I will
> > test later on my desktop computer and see if the sound is fine
> > there.
>
> If you see with automatic frame skip something else than "FS: 0"
> in the Hatari statusbar, your machine is too slow to emulate
> things at full speed, and you will get sound issues.
>
> Some things you could try if this is the case:
> - As Falcon screen content scaling can take a bit of CPU, set
>   set smaller max resolution and using full screen (with that
>   smaller resolution).
> - if things aren't constantly too slow, increasing sound buffer
>   size may improve things.  That will increase sound latency though.
>

> [memory testing]
> > Sorry, didn't understand...
>
> Sorry, I might have rememberered this wrong.
>
> > Let me rephrase to see if we talk about the same thing:
> > Machine = ST, TOS = 2.06 and "Patch TOS for faster boot" = on:
> > memory test is skipped, booting is fast
> > Machine = ST, TOS = 2.06 and "Patch TOS for faster boot" = off:
> > memory test is executed, booting is slow
> >
> > So far everything as expected.
[...]
> > Machine = Falcon, TOS = 4.04 and "Patch TOS for faster boot" = on:
> > memory test is executed, booting is slow
> > And that I did not expect.
>
> I get the same.
>
> > So how can I achieve the skipping of the memory test for the Falcon,
> > just like it works for ST?
>
> Maybe TOS4 uses different variables, or does something which
> cannot be skipped like this.  Thomas?

Well, I guess TOS 4 needs some additional treatment to skip the memory
test sequence ... nobody looked into that yet, so it's "normal" that
"Patch TOS for faster boot" does not skip the memory test there yet.

> > > What kind of additional shortcuts you were thinking of?
> >
> > Atari style ones :)
> > One letter in a button is underlined. That button can be pressed
> > with Alt-<letter>.
>
> I looked into button shortcuts as they turned out to be fairly simple
> to do, I commited support for it.  Shortcuts are single letter, no
> modifier key is needed.

Nice ... but IIRC somebody also asked for joystick control for the GUI
in the past ... so I rather think a focus that can be controlled via
cursor keys or joystick would be the better solution.

 Thomas