Re: [hatari-users] Minor Problems with Falcon Emulation

- Is your computer fast enough?  If it's not, you get sound issues.
How do I know? :)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Not really the strongest, but I assume it is good enough? I will test later on my desktop computer and see if the sound is fine there.

- Have you compared is the sound worse than on real Falcon?
My real Falcon is not here, but I hope I will have it back soon :)
But yes, the sound on the Falcon was definitely better, I am 100% sure about that.

It's not a problem.  What is patched, isn't memory test for each byte
of the installed memory, but check (before that) for how much memory
is actually installed.
Sorry, didn't understand...
Let me rephrase to see if we talk about the same thing:
Machine = ST, TOS = 2.06 and "Patch TOS for faster boot" = on: memory test is skipped, booting is fast Machine = ST, TOS = 2.06 and "Patch TOS for faster boot" = off: memory test is executed, booting is slow

So far everything as expected.
Machine = Falcon, TOS = 4.04 and "Patch TOS for faster boot" = on: memory test is executed, booting is slow

And that I did not expect.
So how can I achieve the skipping of the memory test for the Falcon, just like it works for ST?

Did this happen just with PAD A, but not with PAD B?
Yes, exactly.

I don't know how they're supposed to work, but code for PAD A in Hatari looks buggy[1].  Does the attached patch fix your problem?
I also had a look into joy.c and found exactly the same problem and have made exactly the same patch :)
So I can confirm: Your patch is working fine!

[1] Cross-posting to hatari-devel.  Joy_StePadMulti_ReadWord() code
     looks even more suspicious than Joy_StePadButtons_ReadWord()
     code.  Could somebody knowing what it should do, comment on
     whether masks & shifts between PAD A & B have been verified
     / tested to be correct?  What game uses that interface?
You can use Tautology II from Reservoir Gods to test it. It uses the following buttons: Fire A, Fire B, Fire C, Option. These buttons all work fine. Haven't tested the pause button yet.

It seems that Jagpad number buttons [2] aren't supported by Hatari, but I assume it's otherwise same as STE joypad.

Does that answer your question?
Yep, thanks.

[2] Only thing I know from jagpad, I just read from here:
http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Atari_Enhanced_Joystick_Ports_FAQ
Thanks for the link. Very informative.

Not a problem with the emulation, but a question about the F12-GUI:
Would it be possible to introduce keyboard shortcuts so that it is
possible to navigate the GUI without a mouse? That would be cool.

What kind of additional shortcuts you were thinking of?
Atari style ones :)
One letter in a button is underlined. That button can be pressed with Alt-<letter>. Or be able to move between buttons with arrows and select with space as was already suggested by someone else.

I know there are already the shortcuts you mentioned (yes, I did RTFM before asking :)), but as soon as a GUI dialog opens, I need a mouse. Since I run the emulation on my HTPC in the living room, it would be nice, if it worked without a mouse. It's not that important, just an idea.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your very detailed response!!

Cheers, Curly060 =;->