Re: [hatari-users] Accents in UI

On torstai 11 lokakuu 2012, Vincent Rivière wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 23:42, Thomas Huth wrote:
> >> NB: Beware of default char singned/unsigned issues. It varies among
> >> compilers. Just in case...
> >
> > Uh, I think you're right ... there might be a problem with the sign....
> > In case you're ready to re-compile the Hatari sources, could you please
> > try to change "char c" in SDLGui_Text() in src/gui-sdl/sdlgui.c to
> > "unsigned char c" instead, to see whether this makes a difference?
>
> I only have a build environment for Cygwin (not MinGW), but the problem
> is the same.
>
> After applying your fix... it works :D
> Great! Thanks.
>
> Now you should scan the entire Hatari sources to check that every char
> variable is OK.

This makes the assumption that file names are commonly in latin-1.
They are not, it's file system specific (mount option).

On Linux they're nowadays all in UTF-8.  I don't know what's common on
Windows or OSX, but I'm pretty sure it's not some region specific
legacy 8-bit encoding.

In the SDL UI, UTF-8 file names look IMHO better when they use spaces
instead of random 8-bit characters.

The Python GUI for Hatari naturally doesn't have this issue as
it it uses a mainstream, internationalized widget set (Gtk).
You get problems with it only if you've specified your (removable)
file system file name encoding wrong when they're mounted.

	- Eero