Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari macOS builds - handover need?

Thomas,

A dmg (disk image) file does not help with the quarantine flag. It simply presents the downloaded application in a way that most Mac users expect to see.

I do have other emulators (VirtualC64, vAmiga) that are simply zip files. The user is then responsible for putting the application in the folder they want.

I cannot speak for Hatari Mac users, but a lot of normal Mac users get confused with where to copy their application. That’s why the DMG format with an alias (link) to the Applications folder can be helpful.

For a Linux user, this may seem like too much “hand holding”. However, it can prevent super problems later.

Bob C

On Mon, May 1, 2023, at 7:00 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
Am Mon, 01 May 2023 08:01:29 +0000
schrieb Troed Sångberg <troed@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,

> Yes - installation. For a macOS user a zip file isn't very helpful.

Why? Is it too cumbersome for a normal macOS user to extract ZIP file??

> A .dmg will pop up a window with files laid out in some nice grid and a
> helpful way of copying the app into the Applications folder. It makes the
> macOS Hatari a "proper macOS app".

Apart from the nice grid, what's the advantage? The creation of the dmg
file looks way more cumbersome than just creating a zip? Does this help to
avoid the problem with the quarantine flag?