Re: [hatari-devel] Falcon tests

On 7 Jun 2022 at 11:29, David Savinkoff wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 6:29 AM Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Le 07/06/2022 à 15:14, Anders Eriksson a écrit :
> >
> > > Thanks, that helped! The machine is now 40-50% faster than a real one.
> > Much better than slower!
> > >
> > > I was disabling them as the UI informs that it will be slower with them
> > enabled, which turned out to be the opposite.
> > it means your pc / mac will be slower during the emulation, not the
> > emulated machine :)
> >

> Maybe there is an ambiguity in documentation/language which should be
> clarified.
> Normally one would consider the Emulation to run faster or slower given
> different
> emulator settings, and the Host machine's cpu load being a further concern.

I re-read the detailed documentation and looked at the UI.  The current
documentation is really pretty accurate; perhaps the only thing I would suggest
changing is:

*******
--compatible <bool>
Use a more compatible, but slower 68000 CPU mode with better prefetch accuracy
and cycle counting
*******

Perhaps it should be changed to something like:

*******
--compatible <bool>
Use a more compatible 68000 CPU mode with better prefetch accuracy and cycle
counting. Note that this will increase host CPU usage, so may reduce
performance on slow host CPUs.
*******

But the UI is definitely open to misinterpretation (there isn't much space for
details).  Right now, it says:

*******
Prefetch mode, slower
Cycle exact, slower