Re: [hatari-devel] HDC code update patch

Am Mon, 14 Mar 2022 20:14:37 +0100
schrieb Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi again,
>
> > Main reason for this is that I'd like your commit message to tell reason
> > for the functional changes you did not mention:
> > -	else if (ctr->opcode == 0x05 || (ctr->opcode >= 0x20 && ctr->opcode <=
> > 0x7d)) {
> > +	else if (ctr->opcode >= 0x20 && ctr->opcode <= 0x7d) {
> > -	else if (ctr->opcode >= 0x60)
> > +	else if (ctr->opcode >= 0x60 && ctr->opcode != HD_REPORT_LUNS)
> >
> > (If it e.g. fixes your earlier commit, it would be nice to give ID for
> > the fixed commit in the commit message.)
>
> Don't get me wrong, but let me just say that the recommended length of git
> commit messages is 70-75 characters. https://i.stack.imgur.com/uzUqh.png
> shows that for the Linux kernel the contributors mostly manage to stay
> within this range.

I think Eero likely meant something like the "Fixes:" line in the Linux
kernel commit messages. You can also shorten the commit ID to 12 - 16
characters for this. For example:

Fixes: 5e0da3c1bbe8 ("Add an hexa dump when logging the CDB fields")

 HTH,