Re: [hatari-devel] Re: PortAudio replaced

Am Mon, 10 Jan 2022 00:11:51 +0100
schrieb Laurent Sallafranque <laurent.sallafranque@xxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> I'll try to complete my reply:
>
> > 1) Which Linux distro and which SDL version are you using?
>
> Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
> sdl :     using SDL2 v2.0.10

Ok, thanks, so that should be fine, I guess. I read somewhere about
problems with microphone input in SDL versions < 2.0.5, but I don't
think that these versions are still in use these days (i.e. in
maintained distros).

> > 2) Do you have multiple microphone inputs on your computer? E.g. a
> > direct mic on the Laptop and one in the dock? If so, could it be
> > that SDL uses a different default mic than PortAudio?
>
> Yes, at least 1 mic in front and another one at the rear of the
> computer.
>
> And the headphone I use for my tests is an USB one with a microphone.

Could you please check whether the input now comses from one of these
other inputs? Maybe we need to add an input selector now...

> > are these freely available somewhere?
>
> You can find them here (I don't know if it's free or not, but at
> least, it's for testing purpose).
>
> If you test with AFM, just stop the equalizer (it makes a very
> glitchy sound, I've never found why).
>
> http://christophe.bray.free.fr/informatique/falcon/archives/atari_falcon_musique.htm

Thanks! I've checked them now, and for me they work with both, SDL and
PortAudio. However, sound quality seems to be a bit worse with SDL, so
that needs some more fine tuning at least...

> I can record the sound (tomorrow) if you want.

Thanks, but that likely does not help much to debug this issue... I
guess I'll better revert the patch for now until the problem is
understood...