Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari on Debian 11 (Bullseye): Report

On 3.9.2021 22.13, Charles Curley wrote:
Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are you defaulting to Wayland or X11, and if former, does Hatari's
Python UI work OK with it?

Near as I can tell, this thing is running X11, not Wayland.

When in doubt, RTFM. https://wayland.freedesktop.org/toolkits.html

I use XFCE, which is a mishmash of GTK2 and GTK3. Also, I suspect that
SDL support for Wayland is disabled in plain vanilla Debian 11.

SDL2 does support Wayland, but it defaults to X unless explicitly requested not to (with env var).

Here's pull request for SDL to default to using
Wayland directly under Wayland, which lists issues blocking it:
https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/pull/4306

Btw. Nowadays Xwayland works so well that there's
not much perf or functional difference running
through it, or natively under Wayland, if program
respects modern freedesktop.org standards
(i.e. supplies relevant X properties etc).

Also, https://wayland.freedesktop.org/toolkits.html According to that,
XFCE support for Wayland is still several years off.

Yeah, window managers are all about doing direct
X stuff, which does not translate that well to
Wayland, so it needs to be rewritten almost
completely. And WM is one of the hairiest and
most important / distinguishing components of
a desktop...

Almost all the other stuff should work pretty well
already though.