Re: [hatari-devel] Proposal: use Atari keyboard with Hatari

On 10/01/2021 at 22:56, Eero Tamminen wrote:
Hm.  So one option for using Atari keyboard with Hatari, would be not to
do it with Hatari, but with EmuTOS, and just point Hatari RS-232 input and output to suitable device?

Indeed.
There are multiple possible hacks 😄

TOS expects IKBD data coming from the IKBD ACIA.
But EmuTOS can potentially take IKBD data from anywhere (like my Atari keyboard on Amiga RS-232 port).

And Vincent B. hack for Hatari is something different. It bridges the host RS-232 port to the emulated IKBD ACIA. So any IKBD data received on the host RS-232 port (i.e. from real ST) acts like an emulated keyboard. I believe this works well with both TOS and unmodified EmuTOS.

With e.g. socat, one could have the forwarded Atari keyboard and Hatari
on different sides of internet. :-)

Sure 😃
Hatari should provide an "IKBD source" option. By default, it should be set to "host keyboard" (as now). But could easily be mapped to RS-232 or socket, as you propose. Emulators are definitely much more flexible than real hardware.

--
Vincent Rivière