Re: [hatari-devel] Shalll we remove deprecated features like SDL 1.2 now?

Display options

Debugger GUI

On 1/6/21 9:53 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
Am Tue, 5 Jan 2021 12:43:02 +0200
No, I was just idly wondered whether you have in
mind also some extra SDL2 related improvements.

E.g. something you couldn't do when you added SDL2
support originally, because need to support also
SDL1 prevented them...?

There are certainly some things that can be improved once SDL1.2
support has been removed

I noticed that you've now removed SDL1 support.

I'm now wondering whether following options:
  --desktop <bool>
  --force-max <bool>
  --aspect <bool>

Which are currently listed under TT/Falcon display
options because:
- With SDL1, first one was Videl code specific
- Last two are mainly needed with Falcon demos,
  because they can do a lot of resolution changes

Should be actually moved under Common display
options as they all work with any machine type
with SDL2?

Or maybe all options related to Hatari screen size
should be moved under their own heading:
  --desktop <bool>
  --max-width <x>
  --max-height <x>
  --force-max <bool>
  --aspect <bool>
  --resizable <bool>
  --zoom <x>
?

> (e.g. drawing the GUI dialogs into a separate
> texture instead of "destroying" the Atari screen
> with the dialog), but I don't have any concrete
> plans yet.

What about separate Debugger GUI (SDL2) window?

At first it could implement basic registers,
memory & disassembly output, and stepping through
code with single key, similarly to MonST.

(My crappy debugging support in Python UI could
them be removed.)

I think it should be possible to switch at
run-time between the current command line
debugger and the GUI one, because former has
huge amount of functionality that would be hard
to retro-fit into GUI (all "info" command outputs,
conditional breakpoints, profiling support, all
the DSP support etc).

At some point I could add MonST style address
breakpoint support to GUI Debugger (conditional
breakpoints aren't tied to addresses, so something
simpler is needed for breakpoints that can be
shown, set & cleared in GUI / disassembly).

But I think the keymap rework from Vincent will definitely benefit from
the removal. I just noticed that he opened a pull request on github
where he already removed the SDL1 code:

  https://github.com/hatari/hatari/pull/11

(sorry, the notification mail for that PR landed in my spam folder, so
I did not see it earlier)

Vincent, could you please send your patches to the mailing list instead,
since we do not do reviews of bigger changes on github? Thanks!