Re: [hatari-devel] Shalll we remove deprecated features like SDL 1.2 now?

Am Tue, 5 Jan 2021 12:43:02 +0200

> Hi,
>
> On 1/5/21 4:58 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > Am Mon, 4 Jan 2021 12:02:46 +0200
> > schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > [...]
> >> I noticed that you already removed oldUAE support.
> >>
> >> I guess you remove SDL1 support next?
> >
> > As time permits ...
> >
> > Why do you ask, are you waiting for it for some reason?
>
> No, I was just idly wondered whether you have in
> mind also some extra SDL2 related improvements.
>
> E.g. something you couldn't do when you added SDL2
> support originally, because need to support also
> SDL1 prevented them...?

There are certainly some things that can be improved once SDL1.2
support has been removed (e.g. drawing the GUI dialogs into a separate
texture instead of "destroying" the Atari screen with the dialog), but
I don't have any concrete plans yet.

But I think the keymap rework from Vincent will definitely benefit from
the removal. I just noticed that he opened a pull request on github
where he already removed the SDL1 code:

 https://github.com/hatari/hatari/pull/11

(sorry, the notification mail for that PR landed in my spam folder, so
I did not see it earlier)

Vincent, could you please send your patches to the mailing list instead,
since we do not do reviews of bigger changes on github? Thanks!