Re: [hatari-devel] Suggestion for enhanced keymap table format

Am Tue, 3 Nov 2020 14:39:05 +0100
schrieb Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Le 03/11/2020 à 14:24, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I did a diff between your and current keymap.c
> > version (attached).
> >
> Hi
>
> thanks for posting the diff
>
> > For your intended change to be reviewable, please
> > split all non-functional & unrelated code changes
> > (white space/indenting, const, ! -> ==0, type
> > changes, commenting out trace outputs) to
> > a separate patch, or remove them.
> >
> > Then either rebase your changes to latest Hatari
> > git version of keymap.c, or otherwise make sure
> > they apply and still work with it, before posting
> > a patch / "git diff" against it.
> >

> looking at the diff you posted, I don't see that much unrelated
> changes, there're a few indents changes here and there, but seeing
> the patch is rather big it looks ok to me if some indents or some log
> levels are changed to fit the patch, but nothing that seems to
> prevent from reviewing the changes.
>
> Also, keymap.c was last modified in dec 2019, so I guess the patch
> should apply to dev version without loosing code.
>
> As for reviewing/testing the patch itself, unfortunately I don't have
> time at the moment. Maybe Thomas can have a look at it if he got time.

I just had a quick look, but the patch is indeed rather big. Any chance
that you could split it up logically into more digestible parts (i.e.
multiple patches)? Also, there are still cosmetic changes in here (like
the last hunk that changes "if (!keycode)" into "if (keycode == 0)"
etc.) ... that really should either be dropped or put into separate
clean-up patches.

> As a french user of Hatari, this looks like an interesting patch
> anyway, as some characters are indeed "hard" to enter by default.

I have to say that I hardly use the keymapping stuff on my own, since
the German keyboard layout is pretty similar to the US layout anyway
and since I normally only edit my files on the host side and avoid text
editors in the emulated environment. So Nicolas, it would be great if
you could have a look at these modifications if they make sense from a
French keyboard user perspective.

 Thomas

PS: Would it help if we'd remove the SDL1.2 support first? I guess
keymap.c would be simplified quite a bit by that removal...