Re: cmake versioning issue (was: Re: [hatari-devel] readline ?)

On 12/12/20 11:37 PM, Roger Burrows wrote:
On 12 Dec 2020 at 15:29, Roger Burrows wrote:

OK, mines's Debian-based.  I installed libreadline-dev, but it still doesn't
find the package.  I re-cloned git to start from fresh, but still no go.

I just looked at the cmake output in more detail.  Early on it says:
-- Found ReadLine: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/readline.so

But at the end (in the Library Summary) it says:
- readline :  not found, install it to enable ...

I'm using cmake 2.8.12.  I saw that there were changes to FindReadline.cmake to
support 3.17+, and the changes were made between the release of 2.2.1 and
2.3.0.  So I reverted the changes, and now readline is found OK (as is udev,
which was also missing).

Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 10, i.e. their current LTS
(long term support) versions have CMake v3.16 &
v3.13.

Oldest LTS versions still getting security updates
i.e. Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9 (oldstable) have
CMake v3.5 and v3.7.

Can you fix this?
Alternatively, please update the readme.txt to change the
cmake version requirements.  At the moment, the readme.txt says any cmake >=
v2.8.

I can update the readme.txt if people tell what
versions work / won't work.

From my own distro, I can tell that current CMake
files work at least with CMake v3.13.  Does
somebody use older CMake version to build Hatari?

[Updating the requirements would be a pain for me, as the latest version
available to me is 3.05, but sometimes that's life.]

What the heck you're using?  Oldest CMake package
version still listed for Debian based systems that
I found, was CMake v3.0.2, for Debian 8, which is
still getting commercial extended long time
support.

In general, we support current LTS versions of
main distros.

We can accept patches for older versions, if they
don't complicate things to much or break things
for other versions.