Re: [hatari-devel] Blitter bug in STe mode

On 08/06/2020 at 21:30, Eero Tamminen wrote:
However, one needs to:
* Keep mouse button pressed for few secs before moving mouse
* Move mouse first to right/down, then to left and back. Once it starts
happening, similar additional movements show more artifacts
Many thanks for this detailed investigation, Eero.

The most interesting thing is that I couldn't get left side artifacts to
appear below first 16KB of of screen, or right side artifacts above last
16KB of screen.

Indeed, as you can see on my screenshot, artifacts are only located in the upper half of the screen. Bottom of all artifact lines are perfectly aligned.

Vincent, does EmuTOS use 16KB screen buffers for something?

No, there is no such thing.

On quick testing, I couldn't reproduce it with that or latest EmuTOS
release (v0.9.12), only with EmuTOS Git version.

I managed to reproduce the bug with it, but for unknown reason it was harder.

I'm not yet fully convinced it's necessarily Hatari specific though.

I can just say that I'm unable to reproduce this bug with Steem SSE or real STe hardware. It would be rather incredible if the problem was not caused by Hatari. Only difference could be the speed of mouse events, or synchronization between mouse and VBL... In any case, that's extremely weird. I guess that adding traces in Hatari Blitter code would help.

--
Vincent Rivière