[hatari-devel] Re: [Emutos-devel] EmuTOS and Hatari mentioned on "Mac & i" magazine website

(moving this part of thread to hatari-devel)

On 3/9/19 12:28 AM, Roger Burrows wrote:
On 8 Mar 2019 at 23:48, Eero Tamminen wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:16 PM, Roger Burrows wrote:
On 8 Mar 2019 at 22:46, Eero Tamminen wrote: >
There are many potential gotchas / failures:

* Testing 512K EmuTOS version (included with Hatari binaries)
     with ST games that would need 192K EmuTOS version to have
     enough free RAM
..
Maybe that means the 192K ROM version should be shipped instead (as well
as)?

512K EmuTOS ROM is named tos.img in the Hatari binary package
because that's the image name Hatari searches by default.  If
person doesn't know about different TOS versions, shipping
another version is unlikely to help much.

I guess it all depends on what you think your target audience is.  If it's
people who want to run stuff, other than games, on different hardware (ST,
Falcon, TT ...), then shipping the 512K version of EmuTOS is the right choice.

OTOH, if you think it's mostly gamers running old games, then (given that you
can't legally ship Atari TOS images),

It's all of above naturally.

> shipping the 192K version would seem like a much better choice.

That version doesn't even boot with TT & Falcon (unlike e.g. 256k
version), or 060 emulation.

Or, here's a thought, maybe you could even ship both and have a brief note in
there explaining the differences ...

There are already (extensive) notes about the compatibility of different
EmuTOS versions, including links to EmuTOS version downloads.

I think anything more needs to be more in-face for the less
knowledgeable users.

Either by EmuTOS itself, as I suggested in earlier mail, or
maybe something in Hatari itself.   I guess I could try fitting
something to the Hatari statusbar.