Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari and OUTSIDE (virtual memory manager)

On 10/2/18 11:24 PM, Uwe Seimet wrote:
GEMDOS HD isn't needed, but one needs to add at least 8 MB of TT-RAM,
otherwise outside crashes when run from AUTO:
	--machine tt --ttram 8 --addr24 off --mmu on

OUTSIDE does not require any TT-RAM when enabling the "Alternative Memory"
option. Otherwise it would not run on a Falcon or a TT without TT-RAM, but
it does. Also, it does not need 8 MB of TT-RAM, 4 MB should be fine. But
once more, all depends on the settings, and of course a working PMMU is
required in order not to crash.

Without >= 8MB of TT-RAM, it was bombing in AUTO folder for me,
with your image.

PS. I cannot test this with EmuTOS.  While EmuTOS runs "outside.prg"
from auto (see "--trace os_base" output), it always complains that
there isn't enough memory to run "outconf.app" regardless of how
much memory I set in Hatari (e.g. 14 + 64 MB).

Looks there are also other issues.

I don't think it makes sense to try OUTSIDE with Hatari as long as
ROMSPEED does not work. The latter makes much less use of the PMMU than
OUTSIDE.

Others are dealing with the MMU issue, so I was trying to catch
(IMHO the more serious) Hatari crash.   That wasn't reproduced
with ROMSPEED.

If somebody has a procedure that makes the Hatari crash more
reproducible (with OUTSIDE), I would be interested, as I
couldn't catch it with GDB.