Re: [hatari-devel] symbols not always loaded when entering debugger ?

On 11/18/2017 12:34 AM, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
Le 17/11/2017 à 22:43, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
Yes, but my problem is "simple" : I want to code a program for STF/STE that will run on real HW. I don't have specific memory or OS needs, but it's just that in the past there where some difference between TOS and emutos about HW init (for example microwire init could be different).

I confess, I had in mind also potential improvements to EmuTOS. :-)

I prefer to work the other way around : make sure the program works with real TOS and then in the end check it works with emutos too.

Ok.

[...]
I think I'll provide an extra script that invokes Hatari
with options that configure it more suitably for debugging.
It can be installed alongside Hatari.

Would "hatari-debug" be OK name for it?

Besides the "symbols resident" thing, I think by default it
should use "--trace os_base", and have some shorter option
(-e?) for "--debug-except".

It can output some debugger usage info (e.g. note about
"setopt -D"), and start a terminal for Hatari output if
user didn't start it from terminal.

Anything else?

But why yet another script and some shorter options when it would be much simpler to make the above default in normal Hatari ?

Before it's going to be default, it needs to be tested
(couple of weeks of use with Atari binaries linked with
different libs & linkers should be enough).

Such a script will help you and other debugger users in
doing that.

However, I think something like that could be also of more
general use.  So, please consider what such a script
could & should do.

If you agree that another script could be needed to make debugging easier in the scenario I reported, then the simplest would be to change the default to keep symbols resident.

By extending the same reasoning, why Hatari shouldn't
invoke debugger on every exception?

(Debugging use-cases are different from non-debugging
use-cases and debugging settings can have downsides for
normal emulator usage.  While not as drastic, automatic
symbol loading for terminating programs can also have
downsides, at least it generates extra output to console.)

I'm afraid people won't read doc or look for what such or
such script is doing.

I wonder how they happened to run Hatari in the first place.
By accidentally installing and running Hatari, when their
cat ran over the keyboard, perhaps? :-)