Re: [hatari-devel] FPU update

I'm not sure if there are any remaining problems in 6888x emulation. I am thinking about what could be tested, but most things have been tested through Douglas' great test utility and some things have been tested by Toni separately.
I think 68040 might be incorrect for some conditions, especially related to nonmaskable overflow and underflow exceptions (inexact bit set, where it shouldn't). But it that makes more sense to test and fix that while adding 68040 arithmetic exception handling.
So what is next? We need a SoftFloat routine to convert between extended precision and packed decimal floats! This is commonly used, but quite faulty with native floats. Any ideas?

I'll need to get a recent build with new changes brought into Hatari soon so I can see all the progress.

I'm quite interested to see if the HW-backed float support still has relevant bugs (other than precision differences which I accept should remain). I mean things like (0.5+/-epsilon) rounding up or down in different rounding modes, or common condition flags not being set, or being set inappropriately - that's the kind of thing that can cause breakage.

I'm thinking that the tests can be modified further to ignore small differences in computed values but observe big differences which stem from bugs. I won't actually do this yet but will look into it later on... I'll also upgrade the tests to be more comprehensive at the same time.

For now I'll take a break from it though. Good to see so much progress on float emulation support :)