Re: [hatari-devel] Cartridge help text

Le 11/01/2017 à 21:45, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
Hi,

On 01/10/2017 12:25 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
Am Sun, 8 Jan 2017 22:56:14 +0200
Hatari cartridge image contains program that shows some
Hatari help text.  I noticed that it's a bit out of date.

Attached patch adds few missing keyboard shortcuts,
shortens other text so that they hopefully fit, and
makes the texts more consistent (all start with lower
case etc).

Actually, now that we've got configurable keyboard shortcuts, IMHO it
does make sense at all anymore to show the hard-coded keys there.

I've always thought cartridge program to be default bindings
help for new users (or to users who otherwise have missed
documentation about Hatari's key bindings).

From that point of view, the info still makes sense...

Hi

honestly, in all the years I worked on Hatari, that was the first time this week that I run this program :) I never noticed before it was there. I doubt many users will notice it too, you need to to add an extra drive under GEM desktop and name it "c:" (in lower case, else it doesn't work).

If we really want user to have a quick help text, it would be better to add it into the F12 menu IMO.

Any suggestions for a better text?

I'd prefix "Hatari keyboard shortcuts" with "Default".

Btw. It's kind of cool that it's a native Atari program.

What if we would announce a small "demo" competition,
to upgrade the cartridge help program?

[...]
(Bonus points if demo is provided both as pre-built cartridge
image and patch to Hatari code which applies & builds fine.)

Winner would get "fame"; demo inclusion to Hatari
and credits in authors.txt & release notes.

Do you think anybody would be interested?

That seems like a lot of (too much ?) criteria ; although some demos are still released nowadays, production is not as high as it was in the '90s, I'm not sure many people would have time to code a demo just for us. If people want to code an intro for Hatari, I'd rather have some different intros to celebrate each new release of Hatari.

I have a few ideas of demo effects that could be used to do this, but as many people I think lack of time is the main limitation, this also requires a team of people for gfx and music, which can be difficult to find a common timeframe to work on it.

Perhaps I will have time to contribute something one day, but I'd rather not release anything than release a rushed/not finished intro due to lack of time.