|Re: [hatari-devel] Cartridge help text|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel Archives
On 01/10/2017 12:25 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
Am Sun, 8 Jan 2017 22:56:14 +0200
schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hatari cartridge image contains program that shows some
Hatari help text. I noticed that it's a bit out of date.
Attached patch adds few missing keyboard shortcuts,
shortens other text so that they hopefully fit, and
makes the texts more consistent (all start with lower
Actually, now that we've got configurable keyboard shortcuts, IMHO it
does make sense at all anymore to show the hard-coded keys there.
I've always thought cartridge program to be default bindings
help for new users (or to users who otherwise have missed
documentation about Hatari's key bindings).
From that point of view, the info still makes sense...
> Any suggestions for a better text?
I'd prefix "Hatari keyboard shortcuts" with "Default".
Btw. It's kind of cool that it's a native Atari program.
What if we would announce a small "demo" competition,
to upgrade the cartridge help program?
Potential upgrade examples:
- Different screens for showing texts for Hatari (default)
key bindings, authors, release notes, TODO
(key help should be shown by default)
- Supports (incbin) texts with Unix line-endings
- Fade in/out for screen changes, startup & exit
- Top & bottom border effects in color ST/STe modes
- Small monochrome animations in other modes (e.g.
bugs crawling over the text)
- Interactive magnifier for the text
- Better music
- Gfx effects work, or at least have fallback, for all Atari
video modes and Hatari extended VDI mode
- Sound works with all Atari models
- Code in general works with all Atari models
(68000->060), with 24 & 32-bit addressing etc
- Help text is still easily readable
- Doesn't fill our cartridge image completely
- Provided source code buildable with Devpac
compatible 68k assembler
(Bonus points if demo is provided both as pre-built cartridge
image and patch to Hatari code which applies & builds fine.)
Winner would get "fame"; demo inclusion to Hatari
and credits in authors.txt & release notes.
Do you think anybody would be interested?