Re: [hatari-devel] Feedback SDL2 support

Am Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:58:50 -0600
schrieb Bob Carpenter <hatari@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> David,
>
> I know that the OS X version has been very sensitive to full screen
> changes. I admit that I have not tried your patch yet. If Thomas is
> ready to commit the patch, I will try it on OS X to make sure it
> works on it. I know that we’ll definitely want
> SDL_WINDOW_INPUT_GRABBED. However, I’m not sure whether
> SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN or SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP would be best.

Mac users used to complain that resolution switching for fullscreen
mode does not work well on OS X - IIRC that was also the main reason
for introducing the "keep desktop resolution" stuff. So you likely
should keep that option enabled on OS X.

> I am also not sure what I am supposed to see if I select “Keep
> desktop resolution”.

You should see a difference when switching to fullscreen mode (or back).

> I see that two new SDL2 options have been added: Use linear scaling
> and Use VSync. I know that linear scaling fixes the screen problem
> where the GEM desktop (and possibly other screens) are very jaggy.
> However, I am not sure what Use VSync is supposed to do and whether I
> should use it or not.

VSync = Vertical Synchronization, i.e. the screen updates are
only done within SDL when the monitor is currently not updating the
screen contents.
Try to use hatari without that option first - but if you sometimes see
screen tearing (mainly when using games or demos), you can try to enable
this option to see whether the screen tearing is then gone.