[hatari-devel] OS X SDL2 testing

I have noticed that the OS X preferences window will not work if I have a joystick/gamepad plugged in. The SDL menu still works and shows the gamepad or joystick. However, if I leave the joystick unplugged and start Hatari, then the OS X preferences window appears. I tried my CX-40 with the 2600-daptor II and my USB Nyko gamepad that I use for my normal Mac gaming. I see the same results with both the Atari joystick and the Nyko gamepad.

Since I know there have been problems with the OS X port of SDL2, I am wondering if this is another SDL problem. I did notice that my old Retrolink adapter stopped working correctly when I started using SDL2. It is not related to Hatari because Stella (2600 emulator) also uses SDL2 and it had the exact same problem (left and right directions worked but not up and down). I used the Retrolink USB adapter to allow me to use an actual Atari CX-40 joystick when using Hatari. After the problem with the Retrolink adapter, I purchased the 2600-daptor II device to allow me to use my CX-40 with SDL2.

These are the SDL2-related problems that I have found with the OS X version:
1. The preferences window will not appear if a joystick is plugged in.
2. The OS X preferences window needs the SDL2 options added (Use Linear Scaling, Use VSync)
3. The NIB file needs to be changed to remove the keyboard shortcuts for Preferences (the Cmd-, shortcut does not work), Full screen (Hatari seems to try to use the OS X full screen mode if the keyboard shortcut exists and it gets messed up), and Minimize (Cmd-M is used for mouse capture so the window is minimized as well as capturing the mouse).
4. The current stable version of SDL2 (2.0.3) has definite problems on OS X. This will cause support problems if people try to run Hatari with the stable version of SDL2 instead of using the embedded framework that would be bundled into Hatari.

I downloaded the development code just this morning (Saturday) and recompiled Hatari for this testing.

Nicolas,

From my STX testing, I have not found any problems with using the WinUAE CPU. I only run games and not demos, but everything looks good with the new CPU so far.

Bob C