Re: [hatari-devel] A question about the debugger

On tiistai 15 syyskuu 2015, Roger Burrows wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2015 at 22:14, Roger Burrows wrote:
> > On 15 Sep 2015 at 0:08, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > > Then you need also to tell Hatari to invoke debugger on
> > > the specified exceptions.  Easiest way to do that is to
> > >
> > > add "autostart" option:
> > > 	hatari --debug-except bus,autostart ./test.prg
> > >
> > > This will enable exception debugging after program
> > > is autostarted, to avoid TOS bootup exceptions invoking
> > > the debugger.
> >
> > The program doesn't get autostarted, perhaps because my C drive is an
> > emulated ACSI drive, not the GEMDOS drive.  But I'll see if the
> > debugger still gets invoked on the crash.
>
> It apparently doesn't.

Yes, autostarting relies on hooking TOS *.INF file
interception.

(And the above --debug-except autostart option hooks
into autostarting functionality.)

> > > (Alternatively you can use "setopt -D" command in debugger
> > > to toggle at run-time whether previously specified exceptions
> > > invoke the debugger or not.)
> >
> > Will it work if I add "setopt -D" to the debugger initialisation file?
> > I guess
> > I'll try if all else fails.
>
> I tried this.  The debugger is entered when the first bus exception
> happens during EmuTOS initialisation.

And every other matching exception TOS bootup does...

> After typing 'c' to continue, the
> logfile is closed and all trace output goes to the console.

I've fixed this along with symbol trace not going to trace file:
	http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/

Should be part of next Windows snapshot.

> > > After scripting the debugging, you don't need to interact with
> > > debugger, so you can just start Hatari directly from DOS prompt
> > > and redirect all Hatari output to a file.
> >
> > Ah, now we're back to my original problem: attempting to redirect
> > debugging output to a file did not seem to work for me in Windows.
> > But I don't care as long as I can get a workaround ...
>
> Unfortunately none of the above worked, and trying to redirect stderr via
> 2>debug.log doesn't want to work in the Windows implementation.

I've used stderr and stdout redirecting from Windows DOS
prompt (at work) and it has worked fine for the programs
I used.

What exactly means "doesn't want to work"?

- That only part goes to stderr and part to stdout
- That if you redirect both, nothing is in either of
  the files
?