Re: [hatari-devel] A question about the debugger

A follow-up ...
On 14 Sep 2015 at 22:14, Roger Burrows wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2015 at 0:08, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> >
> > Then you need also to tell Hatari to invoke debugger on
> > the specified exceptions.  Easiest way to do that is to
> > add "autostart" option:
> > 	hatari --debug-except bus,autostart ./test.prg
> >
> > This will enable exception debugging after program
> > is autostarted, to avoid TOS bootup exceptions invoking
> > the debugger.
> >
> The program doesn't get autostarted, perhaps because my C drive is an emulated
> ACSI drive, not the GEMDOS drive.  But I'll see if the debugger still gets
> invoked on the crash.

It apparently doesn't.

> > (Alternatively you can use "setopt -D" command in debugger
> > to toggle at run-time whether previously specified exceptions
> > invoke the debugger or not.)
> >
> Will it work if I add "setopt -D" to the debugger initialisation file?  I
> guess
> I'll try if all else fails.

I tried this.  The debugger is entered when the first bus exception happens
during EmuTOS initialisation.  After typing 'c' to continue, the logfile is
closed and all trace output goes to the console.

> > After scripting the debugging, you don't need to interact with
> > debugger, so you can just start Hatari directly from DOS prompt
> > and redirect all Hatari output to a file.
> >
> Ah, now we're back to my original problem: attempting to redirect debugging
> output to a file did not seem to work for me in Windows.  But I don't care as
> long as I can get a workaround ...

Unfortunately none of the above worked, and trying to redirect stderr via
2>debug.log doesn't want to work in the Windows implementation.

At this point, the only thing left to try is to make the GEMDOS drive the 'C'
drive, and try autostart.  I'll do that next.  I'm probably being very stupid
about this, but I don't find the debugger very easy to use, at least under
Windows ...

Roger