Re: [hatari-devel] A question about the debugger

On 17 Sep 2015 at 1:21, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> On tiistai 15 syyskuu 2015, Roger Burrows wrote:
> > Another follow-up ...
> >
> > On 14 Sep 2015 at 22:58, Roger Burrows wrote:
> > > At this point, the only thing left to try is to make the GEMDOS drive
> > > the 'C' drive, and try autostart.  I'll do that next.  I'm probably
> > > being very stupid about this, but I don't find the debugger very easy
> > > to use, at least under Windows ...
>
> Hatari developers don't have/use Windows, and as your issues are
> new to us, I guess you're unfortunately spearheading the debugger
> logging usage there...
>
> > But I still can't get autostart to work.  The message
> > from Hatari is: "Failed to create autostart file for 'PULSE.PRG'."
> > What does that mean?
>
> Windows crappiness.  The standard C tmpfile() function doesn't
> return on your system a writable file / name.
>
> According to MSDN, this seems to require root dir to be writable:
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x8x7sakw.aspx
>
> Btw. That same page recommends using tmpnam() or tempnam()
> if one wants version that creates the temporary file
> somewhere else, but Linux documentation states on those:
> "POSIX.1-2008 marks this function as obsolete.
> Never use this function.  Use mkstemp(3) or tmpfile(3) instead."
>
> However, mkstemp() isn't portable (it's POSIX, not ANSI-C function),
> so Hatari picked tmpfile().

OK, it would seem that good advice (at least at the moment) is "you probably
don't want to use the debugger under Windows".  I'm going to drop my current
efforts and resume them under Linux later.  I've built an environment to do
some testing of Uwe Seimet's SCSI driver support for Hatari under Linux, so
after I've finished the testing, I can use that.

Thanks,
Roger