Re: [hatari-devel] Feedback SDL2 support

Am Sun, 17 May 2015 18:43:34 +0300
> Btw. While 8-bit palettized resolutions are ugly, Hatari's VDI and
> monochrome modes have only 8-bit conversion routines.  Getting rid
> 8-bit host side code would mean that those would now always go
> through second conversion.
>
> How your netbook performance would survive that?

Not sure if I understand your question correctly. Right, mono and VDI
resolutions are currently translated into an 8-bit surface first and
then rendered by SDL to the final bit plane depth. So currently
everything is converted twice in these modes. When 8-bit support is
dropped, these convertion routines of course have to be changed to
render directly into 16 or 32 bpp surfaces instead, so that should
rather speed up things there instead (I hope we can use the Videl
convertion routines for these modes, too, so that we do not have to
implement everything twice here again).