Re: [hatari-devel] Release time for 1.8.1 ?

Le 07/05/2015 22:27, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
Hi,

On torstai 07 toukokuu 2015, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
It's not always easy to decide why such version had a big number change,
and other only a minor. But I really want to keep 1.9 and 2.0 for major
releases with huge changes (for example : full cpu switch to winuae,
full rewrite of the shifter emulation, full switch to sdl2, ...)

There's nothing preventing us from having 1.10, 1.11 etc before 2.0.
Hatari's v2.0 release could even be reserved just for SDL2 switch as it's a
large dependency change, and version numbers match...

On Linux kernel side, change from 3.19 to 4.0 was no bigger than change from
3.18 to 3.19. :-)

Hi

I thought about using 1.9.0, 1.10.0, 1.11.0, .. too, but as Thomas wrote the version if of the form "x.y.z\0" and it's kinda hardcoded in memorysnapshot.c to take 6 bytes when saving/restoring, so using 1.10.0 for example would take 7 bytes in the memory snapshot header, which might not be correctly handled (we need to handle the case where an older Hatari version will load a more recent snapshot and should tell it's not compatible).

If we can update the use of VersionString in MemorySnapShot_OpenFile to work with more than 6 bytes of ident string, then I think we can use 1.9.0 for next version, then 1.10.0, 1.11.0, ...