Re: [hatari-devel] Cartridge code Pexec7 / AUTO issue

Am Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:05:55 +0300

> Hi,
>
> On sunnuntai 26 huhtikuu 2015, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > I now rewrote the cartridge code so that it uses less space on the
> > stack (the program header does not get fully loaded on the stack
> > anymore). The code is now really, really ugly, but it seems to
> > work, at least with the TOS version that I've tested.
>
> Great, thanks!
>

> Speaking of ugly, and saving few more bytes from stack:
>
> The results of e.g. temporary Fread()s could be stored into
> Cartridge area, if Hatari emulation was changed to have some
> part of cartridge memory area writable when Hatari cartridge
> code is loaded...

Could be an option, yes, but on the other hand, that would be another
difference to an original TOS system again (some very weird exotic
programs might depend on the fact that none of the cartridge space is
writable). So let's keep that in mind in case other problems occur with
the current code - if not, let's simply hope that we don't have to
touch it that often again.

Another idea would be to get rid of most of the assembly code in the
cardridge and to do something completely in C code in Hatari instead,
just like it is done in the "stemdos" of STeem ... but I haven't quite
understood yet how they deal with the problem of getting memory via
pexec there.