Re: [hatari-devel] SDL GUI keyboard shortcuts

On tiistai 19 elokuu 2014, Thomas Huth wrote:
> schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Anyway, concerning the shortcuts in the joystick selection dialog:
> Currently the GUI maps cursor up and left to the same action (moving
> the focus backwards) and down and right to the same action (moving the
> focus forward). What do you think about limiting the focus movement to
> just up/down (or left/right) and use left/right (or up/down) for
> switching the joysticks in the dialog?

I had been thinking the same.  Left & right could active the
first arrow pair on all the dialogs.

If joypad has multiple buttons, different buttons can be mapped to:
- activate focused item
- select default item
- select cancel item

> Same could apply to the
> fileselector for scrolling the list by just one entry (this is
> currently broken, it was possible to do this with cursor up and down
> before).

I think those arrow items need specific flags & activation for
them (= search for that flag).  This would allow mapping
both joy left & right and left & right arrow keys to them.

I guess I need to move shortcuts from flags to state [1], to make
space for the extra flag bits.

[1] Especially as I had changed shorcuts to be parsed at run-time
    from the text labels, so they're now state (run-time modified).
    This will allow shortcuts to be specified in translations
    loaded at run-time.  Handling of accented letters as shortcuts
    will be an issue with SDL2 if those letters don't have their
    own keys though...

> Another idea: Map the different joysticks to the function keys F1 - F6
> or simply the number keys 1 -6.

It's probably better make the navigation work the same in every
dialog (-> less code & documentation needed and more discoverable).

I would actually like to have separate AltGr shortcut for each
joystick (AltGr 0, AltGr 1 etc), which would switch given joystick
between disabled, keyboard and real joystick.  Would that cause
any problems?  Or is there some other, more deserving config
change you think should be bound to AltGr+<number>?

> Another idea for discussion: Normal shortcuts are only activated by
> pressing a modifier key like ALT and a letter (like it is done in many
> other GUIs). Then the normal letters are freed for such actions like
> controlling the file selector entries.

I got already used to not needing modifier, but modifier would
be more familiar to users and would indeed solve this issue.
I'll look into that, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to
do it.