Re: [hatari-devel] SDL GUI keyboard shortcuts

Am Tue, 19 Aug 2014 00:28:16 +0300

> Hi,
>
> On maanantai 18 elokuu 2014, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > (Personally I prefer using shortcuts also over mouse.)
> >
> > How often do you change the joystick configuration? Especially
> > the joysticks beside joystick #1 ?
>
> At least for me it's not that infrequent.  I use arrow keys
> joy emulation, but have it disabled by default.  Games use
> different joy ports.  Joypads cannot be even enabled with
> the joystick change AltGr-J shortcut.  I.e. for me there's
> quite a bit of use for that.

Single player games that use the joystick in port #0 are rather rare,
aren't they? And there aren't also that many games that support
joypads...

Anyway, concerning the shortcuts in the joystick selection dialog:
Currently the GUI maps cursor up and left to the same action (moving
the focus backwards) and down and right to the same action (moving the
focus forward). What do you think about limiting the focus movement to
just up/down (or left/right) and use left/right (or up/down) for
switching the joysticks in the dialog? Same could apply to the
fileselector for scrolling the list by just one entry (this is
currently broken, it was possible to do this with cursor up and down
before).

Another idea: Map the different joysticks to the function keys F1 - F6
or simply the number keys 1 -6.

> > > Letter shortcuts in the list would make it much more convenient to
> > > use with keyboard, when you know the name of the file you want.
> > > Just press the first letter and scroll down few items if needed,
> > > to select the desired file, then accept the dialog.  I guess it
> > > should also focus the first filename.

Another idea for discussion: Normal shortcuts are only activated by
pressing a modifier key like ALT and a letter (like it is done in many
other GUIs). Then the normal letters are freed for such actions like
controlling the file selector entries.